Friday, July 20, 2007

Facebook Shmacebook

Alright my wife is now a part of the Facebook nation so I took a look to see what it is all about. I have to say I don't see myself facebooking any time soon. The idea of people "poking" me, messages about people's moods filling my screen, receiving emails alerting me to the fact that someone has left me a message on Facebook and generally calling people friends that I had little or nothing to do with in the real world is just too much pressure for me. Now some people may find my attitude towards Facebook surprising considering the fact that I have a blog I regularly update and share thousands of pictures on Flickr. However, the difference to me is that I really don't care if people access those sites or not. I mean I put things out there in the hope that friends and family who would like to keep up with the activity of our family can feel better connected but the whole point is I don't have the time or interest in communicating with everyone individually. The few times I have looked at my wife's Facebook page I get the distinct sensation of a phone that just will not quit ringing and my head begins to hurt. Now don't get me wrong I have no problem with people who are into Facebook. I just find it kinda interesting that people feel the need to "force" their messages onto others but won't actually just send someone and email. It is great if people get a chance to reconnect to people from their past, however, just a caution sometimes you find out there is a reason you lost contact with those people. Now I am not sure if anyone will read this or not as I don't know if anyone visits this blog and nor do I care I feel better just for writing it. Now I must give up the computer as my wife wants to check her Facebook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i facebooked recently, too, to see Charles' setup, and have now been "attached" to a bunch of people in high school I didn't really know well then and don't know at all now. It has the potential to be a more human blogging system, but will have too many of the myspace problems, I'd say. (Glen)

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I read your blog! Not that often, 'cause let's be honest, you aren't that frequent a contributor to it! But when you do, it's always a worthwhile read. About Crackbook, I'm with you. Mich too is on it, and while she is certainly not addicted like some, it is a time sucker. And, like Glen, she gets poked by, or asked to be friend to people who she barely knows, or remembers, or has just met and really doesn't see the point in staying in contact with. That said, she does enjoy it too, and does stay in contact with and up to speed with people who are important to her. Hmmmm.